Monthly Accomplishment Report – September 2016
UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES
Central Visayas Studies Center (CVSC) Report
1. Research Updates
1. As of September 2016, 5 faculty members have received 7 International Publication Awards from the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs for their ISI/Scopus-indexed Publications.
2. The office organized its 3rd research presentation of the year last 7 September 2016. The following are the researches presented by the faculty members:
3. Prof. Eukene Bensig submitted the final report of her Faculty Grant 2015 paper, “Coliform and Physicochemical factors of Buhisan, Bulacao and Lahug Rivers, Cebu, Philippines.” The research was published in WALIA 32 (S1): 28-30.
4. 4 publications were reported by three faculty members from Sciences and Social Sciences Clusters:
5. 8 faculty members and 1 REPs (research and extension and personnel services) reported their paper or poster presentations in national/international conferences or creative work:
6. Prof. Famador’s research presentation, “Idenfitification of Possible Infarction on the Cross section of Cardiac Muscle Tissue Using Color Segmentation and Difference of Gaussian,” received the Best Presentation Award in Japan.
7. 2 faculty members submitted the final reports of their faculty grant paper/creative work on 20 September 2016:
• Prof. Roque on his Faculty Grant 2011: Gawad Joya: Joya Awardees’ (1976-2016) Art Exhibit
• Prof. Ma. Rowena Mende on her Faculty Grant 2012: Communicating the urgency of climate change: Effects of message elaboration, mode of communication, and gender on behavioral intentions toward climate change mitigation
8. The office endorsed to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs 4 UP Cebu research proposals from the Arts and Humanities Cluster, Sciences Cluster, and Social Sciences Cluster that were submitted for the Enhanced Creative Work and Research Grant.
1. Supported activity
The office assisted the Department of Computer Science in its international conference last 21-22 September 2016 in UP Cebu. The conference entitled, “Workshop on Computation: Theory and Practice 2016,” was attended by more than 50 participants.
2. Other intervening activities
The research staff represented the University as a member of the Regional Search Committee for the 2016 Search for Outstanding Volunteer. The committee interviewed the nominees last 29 September 2016 in NEDA Region 7. For this year, the committee endorsed three regional nominees: National Outstanding Volunteer Award for Individual (Adult), National Outstanding Volunteer Award for Organization (Non-Profit), and Volunteer Lifetime Achievement Award.
Other members of the Search for Outstanding Volunteer-Regional Screening Committee (SOV-RSC) Region 7 are the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA 7), as chair, the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the Philippine Information Agency (PIA 7), the Civil Service Commission (CSC 7), and the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc., representing the Non-Government Organization (NGO).
3. Gawad Dekana 2016 Recognition
The entire staff of the research office was recognized during the Gawad Dekana 2016 last 23 September 2016. The Gawad Dekana is a yearly event in celebration of UP Cebu’s autonomy.
Director Yuleta Orillo was recognized for her 25 years of service in UP Cebu. University Research Associate Cora Jane Lawas received a Special Citation for finishing her Master of Science in Geoinformation Science with specialization in Natural Resource Management in University Twente, The Netherlands. The research staff, Julie Nieva, was awarded as the Outstanding Employee and also received a Special Citation for graduating Master of Business Administration in UP Cebu.